Some of the frequently asked questions related to the Six Sigma Methodologies are as follows :
(1) What is the Six Sigma methodology?
Six Sigma is a statistically driven methodology which focuses on the elimination of the defects and implementation of a measurement-based strategy that leads to process improvement and variation reduction. It is data driven and disciplined initiative for improvement in any project from manufacturing to transactional and from product to service.
(2) What is statistical representation of Six Sigma
The statistical representation of Six Sigma describes that a process must not produce more than 3.4 defects per million opportunities. A Six Sigma defect is defined as anything that does not meet the customer satisfaction and a Six Sigma opportunity is the no of chances for the occurrences of a defect. Process sigma is calculated by using a Six Sigma calculator.
(3) What are the costs and savings of Six Sigma?
In order to significantly reduce costs and increase sales by applying the Six Sigma requires investing in training, organizational infrastructure and culture evolution. It will require money to make money. Only leadership of the company can decide whether the investment in Six Sigma organization culture and employees worth the money.
Six Sigma can lead to significant savings to a company if it is implemented correctly. The savings as a percentage of revenue vary from 1.2% to 4.5% and it is observed that Six Sigma is get rich slow methodology. In Six Sigma implementation, the financial benefits of potential process improvement projects are quantified and applied to select and prioritize process improvement projects.
(4) What is curriculum included in Six Sigma training whether conducted in-house or by a third-party consultant.
Six Sigma training is a key process for the implementation of Six Sigma. The Curriculum of any Six Sigma training depends on the professional certification level eg. Black Belt, Champion, Master Black Belt, Green Belt. Usually it covers the following aspects
Overview : Overview of Six Sigma, DMAIC Methodology Overview,DMAIC Versus DMADV (Design for Six Sigma) Overview, Financial Benefits of Six Sigma, The Impact of Six Sigma to The Organization, The Six Sigma Language, Project Prioritization, Launching a Six Sigma Initiative, Roles of the Six Sigma Organization, etc.
Define : Overview of Define, Project Definition, Project Charter, (CTQs), SIPOC Diagram, Questions to Ensure a Successful Define Phase
Measure : Overview of Measure, Process Mapping (As-Is Process), Data Attributes (Continuous Versus Discrete), Measurement System Analysis, Gage Repeatability and Reproducibility, Measuring Process Capability, Calculating Process Sigma Level, Visually Displaying Baseline Performance, Questions to Ensure a Successful Measure Phase.
Analyze : Overview of Analyze, Visually Displaying Data, Value-Added Analysis, Cause and Effect Analysis, Verification of Root Causes, Determining Opportunity for Improvement, Project Charter Review and Revision, Questions to Ensure a Successful Analyze Phase
Improve : Overview of Improve, Brainstorming, Quality Function Deployment, Failure Modes and Effects Analysis, Piloting Your Solution, Implementation Planning, Culture Modification Planning, Questions to Ensure a Successful Improve Phase
Control : Overview of Control, Statistical Process Control Overview, Developing a Process Control Plan, Documenting the Process, Questions to Ensure a Successful Control Phase
(5) What is a Six Sigma champion?
A Champion is a Six Sigma professional who facilitate the leadership, implementation and deployment of Six Sigma philosophy in the organization. Their roles include creating the vision realizing the gains, defining the path for effective implementation of Six Sigma initiatives.
(6) What are the best books for Six Sigma?
Some of the best books available on Six Sigma are as follows
- The Six Sigma Way: How GE, Motorola, and Other Top Companies are Honing Their Performance by Peter S. Pande et al, Robert P. Neuman, and Roland R. Cavanagh
- The Six Sigma Handbook: The Complete Guide for Greenbelts, Blackbelts, and Managers at All Levels, Revised and Expanded Edition by Thomas Pyzdek
- Six Sigma for Dummies by Craig Gygi, Neil DeCarlo, Bruce Williams, and Stephen R. Covey
- The Lean Six Sigma Pocket Toolbook: A Quick Reference Guide to 100 Tools for Improving Quality and Speed by Michael L. George, John Maxey, David T. Rowlands, and Michael George
- Statistics for Six Sigma Made Easy by Warren Brussee
- Lean Six Sigma for Service : How to Use Lean Speed and Six Sigma Quality to Improve Services and Transactions by Michael L. George
- What Is Six Sigma? by Pete Pande and Larry Holpp
- What is Lean Six Sigma by Michael L. George, David Rowlands, and Bill Kastle
- The Complete Idiot’s Guide to Lean Six Sigma by Breakthrough Management Group and Neil DeCarlo .
(7) What is the difference between the Six Sigma DMAIC and DMADV methodologies?
DMAIC is used for the purpose of incremental improvements to the existing processes, while DMADV is used for innovative improvements in new processes and designs. It is also called as DFSS.
They have similar first three steps(Define, Measure and Analyze) while they differ in last two steps in DMAIC it is improve and control while in DMADV it is design and verify.
(8) What is the definition of DPMO or DPPM?
Defects per Million Opportunities: It is a measure of the error rate per million opportunities and quality improvement methods aims to minimize it.
(9) How much salary does a Six Sigma Belt make per year?
The salary survey provides a first look at the worldwide average salary and bonus for each of the four roles:
Black Belt $ 76,241 $9,698
Master Black Belt $104,008 $19,933
Champion $93,625 $22,618
Deployment Leader $108,361 $20,935
(10) How do I begin the Six Sigma implementation process?
One can begin implementing the Six Sigma by following the basic steps:
- Selecting the right project and commitment to the project.
- Define the project scope and goals based on customer specifications.
- Measure the defects in the current system and performance by using the statistical data analysis
- Analyze the system by identifying the defects and their causes.
- Improve the system by finding ways to do things faster and better.
- Control the new process by modifying systems and measuring processes, using the customer feedback and statistical tools.
(11) How do I calculate my process sigma level?
Five step process to calculate your process sigma is as follows :
- Define the Opportunities
- Define the Defects
- Measuring the Opportunities and Defects
- Calculate the Yield
- Look Up Process Sigma on Sigma Conversion Table
(12) How are Six Sigma projects reviewed?
Six Sigma projects are reviewed by performing status checks which involves reviewing the timelines, validation of proper Six Sigma tool used monitoring of the key progress deliverables.
(13) Why Hire a Six Sigma Consultant ?
Six Sigma consultants are much better than the employees of the organization. They are more skilled at explanations. They are unbiased in their recommendations and they have rich experience in implementing Six Sigma in various projects.
(14) What are the best institutes for online six sigma training?
Some of the schools which offer six sigma courses online via distance learning are as follows
(1) Kaplan University
(2) Capella University
(3) Grand Canyon University
(4) Villanova University
(5) Morestream University
(6) Regis University
(7) eCornell University
(8) Baker College Online
Apart from that a lot of information is also available on following sites.