Case Study is defined as research strategy, which investigates the phenomenon with in real life scenario. It may include single and multiple case studies. It involves quantitative and qualitative evidence relying on multiple sources and benefits from prior developments.
Six Sigma case study talks about building up of the framework, related to the implementation of Six Sigma methodology in the minds of the organizations. Case studies are developed basically on the benefits of Six Sigma methodology leading to growth and improvement of organization and a project.
Case studies are made on wide range of fields across the business and industrial sector like IT, call centers, large companies based in the US and India etc. This case study provides useful insight into the areas where Six Sigma is being applied and what aspects of Six Sigma is more effective and adopted by the organizations for their success in terms of quality, performance and cost reduction.
Case studies reveal that DMAIC is more frequently used Six Sigma methodology. Some of the key aspects in which the help of Six Sigma is used for developing the case studies made are as follows:
(1) Identifying the problems and their root cause
(2) Identifying the defects of the products
(3) Formulation of ideas to avoid the defects
(4) Idea testing and modifications
(5) Implementing the modified products
(6) Confirming and monitoring the product results
(7) Tracking the improvement and the customer satisfaction
(8) Focusing on Long term quality improvement
(9) Inculcating the six sigma techniques and mind-set
Adopting a Business Process Approach to Management requires various critical steps by the organizations. Case study reveals that critical steps required for the successful implementation of DMAIC are determining the Customers and Stakeholders and benefits organization is providing them, determining the value chain that deliver benefits, identifying process boundaries, selecting the process owner for each process, beginning of never ending cycle Business Process Improvement, etc.
Examples of Six Sigma Case Studies
Application of Six Sigma DMAIC methodology has resulted in vast improvement in the performance of organization as evident by the numerous success stories across the globe. Some examples of the case studies are as follows.
(1) Oil exploration and drilling company. Project was to Improve automatic well test process. Results : Increase in test accuracy by 25% and Improvement in % of successful “workovers”.
(2) Vehicle maintenance support unit . Project was reduction of the high cost of vehicle maintenance. Results : Moving technical experts to the field and Improved data collection techniques
(3) Large Electronics Company. Project was to Deflect yoke for TV. Results : Upgradation of the design using DFSS tools and improvement in overall production process
(4) Automotive Project was failures of Crankshaft production Results : Application of Six Sigma tools to stratify the errors which were due to grinding failures.
(5) Pharmaceutical Company. Project was Packaging- downtime of machines on the packing line was excessive leading to lower than expected productivity Results : SOPs were developed, improvement in Training and Variation in the adjustments and reduction of adjustment frequencies.
(6) Chemical Production Project was to improve production capacity and reduce variability of Methyl Ethyl Ketone (MEK) and Ethanol Separation Unit. Results : improvement of Normal production rates for MEK and Ethanol by more than 4% above previous maximum rate and decrease in Ethanol losses.
(7) Transactional Project was reduction in Employee productivity when employees transfer to different jobs within the company. Results : Lost productivity resulted because of failure of direct deposits, interrupted health care, increase in out-of-pocket expenses, etc. DMAIC process leading to improved process flows.
(8) Medical Device Company Project was Combining the two existing rejection systems used for tracking defective materials. Results : The two systems were combined, streamlined, and placed on the web and creation of Process flow for new process